Monday, May 2, 2011

Motorcycle Theft

Shocking!
Last week of April, me and my friends went to Robinson's Pacita, San Pedro to buy stuff
we need for our summer swimming. There were 6 of us and 3 motorcycles.
I have a Yamaha Mio Soul while my friend had a Yamaha Mio Amore motorcycle.
The third motorcycle was a honda wave motorcycle. We parked at Robinson's motorcycle
parking area then went inside to go buy groceries we have in our list.
After shopping, we went back to the motorcycle parking area and i noticed that the
motorcycle parked beside my motorcycle was different. It should be my friend's Amore.
From that point on we got scared of the worst. I was hoping someone just moved my
friend's motorcycle to a different parking area but it wouldnt make any sense because
there were a lot of free space there. But still we looked around the area including the other
parking areas nearby hoping to find the Amore. Sadly, the worst really happened, the
Amore was stolen!

My Friend's Negligence or Robinson's Security?
My friend have been negligent indeed as I have been also. We have been so confident
thingking our motorcycle wont be stolen in a parking like that which is inaccessible by a
van.Also, there is just one entrance and exit to the parking area and Tricycle drivers can
see the parking area because they are in the entrance area. If some men would carry any
motorcycle or push a unlocked motorcycle, it would be obvious. Except that the
motorcycle was probably stolen using random keys. And tricycle drivers don't memorize
the driver of each motorcycle because its not their job anyway.
After we have concluded that the Mio was really stolen, my friends told the security guard
about it. The security guard said "ah marami nang nananakaw diyan" (in English : "oh,
there have been motorcycles stolen from there already") WTF?!
I am not blaming the Robinson's security team but I think they should have painted a
warning on the parking area to lock their motorcycles since the incident isn't new. Maybe
they haven't mentioned the incidents to management? I don't know.
I am not blaming anyone but we were just disappointed by the guard's reaction. The
security guard told my friend that the parking area is not theirs. What? Then whose
parking is it? If a rider would park in front of Robinson's entrance they would point to the
parking area we parked on. So how come its seems they are saying its not their
responsibility. Also, they should have at least offered to get the information about the
stolen Mio for the record. Who knows? maybe the thief is so stupid he would fail to
mention to  his buyer that it got stolen from there. It's far fetched but who knows? After
we finished reporting the incident to the police and I after I drove around Pacita area
hoping to find the lost Mio, we stayed outside the closed Robinson's and chatted while
waiting for our friend on the Honda Wave circling around San Pedro looking for the
stolen Mio. We chatted about what the security guard should have done. That they should
have recorded it. A little later, one security guard approached my sad friend and asked
about the Mio so he could log it. hmmm, i don't know if they heard us criticising them or
they just finally realized what they should do.


I Have Been Lucky

I was surprised myself. I have been parking in the same area and didn't think that my Mio
would be stolen from there. Mio motorcycles being stolen isn't new to me but the only
knowledge I had was Mio motorcycles are usually stolen by carrying it by a couple or
more men into a van or being chased by faster bikes with a back rider pointing a gun to
the victim. I have heard of Honda Waves being stolen using random keys but I didn't
think it would work with Mio. I have owned a Honda Wave before and I noticed that its
key is very simple. I have been lucky for so long. I have stopped using a chain lock to
my mags. I just prevented from parking in areas where a van can stop beside my Mio
to pick it up. But im not going to push my luck anymore. I will be buy a good chain lock
for my mags so my Mio wont be stolen by random keys in seemingly safe parking areas.

Learn from this
If you own a Mio, a Nouvo, a Skydrive or a Raider (most commonly stolen motorcycles) or
other motorcycles especially those that are new or look new, buy a lock and use it always.
As an added security, you can install a security alarn for your bike or a secret switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment